Saturday, November 3, 2012

Christmas tree from a tomato cage

 

Now that Halloween is over and the cold weather is here I'm feeling in the mood for decorating for Christmas! I know it's its only Nov 3!



So today I made a small tree out of garland and a tomato cage. It was very easy and took about a half hr tops.

 


I taped the top of the cage with duct tape. Then I wrapped the garland tightly around the bottom.There were little pieces of wire on the ends so that helped me to securely wrap the ends around the cage. I ended up using more garland than I thought. It was three and a half strands. I need the other half for another project. Cutting was quite hard! So four would be a really nice full tree. I got the strands of garland at Hobby Lobby on sale for $4 each. I already had a tomato cage. I'm sure that I have a strand of lights in with our decorations in the basement. So all in all a pretty nice tree for $16. I didn't get the lights on it yet. I'll have to take one in a few weeks once all the Christmas decorations are out. I also didn't have a planter pot large enough for the bottom of the cage to fit in. That would give it some height, but it's ok to sit on the ground too. I would recommend putting a brick on the bottom to hold it down if you are going to put it outside.I saw this beautiful tree on Pinterest but the pin didn't have step by step directions. So I have some of my own advice to pass one now that I've done it.



 

2 comments: